12 best computer monitors
When buying a personal computer for personal use, few people choose a monitor in the first place. The main budget is often aimed at assembling or choosing a ready-made system unit, and the monitor and other peripheral components must “keep within” the price of the remaining budget. But this is not entirely justified. For example, if your graphics card supports 200fps but your monitor doesn’t, you won’t see them in action. In addition, the display not only makes it possible to enjoy the gamut of colors and the dynamics of the scenes, but is also responsible for the health of your eyes. Therefore, it is extremely important to make an unmistakable choice. In this article, we will look at which monitor is better to buy for a PC?
What to look for when choosing a PC monitor?
- Diagonal. Size doesn’t matter? See the difference between watching movies (or playing games) on a 19″ monitor and a 32″ monitor. The larger the diagonal, the better for multitasking at work — the user can place many windows and elements on one screen. But if you already have a TV at home that is used for content and games, then for work and school purposes, it may not make sense in a large diagonal and 22”–24” is quite suitable. Here, decide for yourself.
- Screen resolution. The quality and clarity of the image directly depends on this indicator. Even if you are an undemanding user, do not buy monitors with low HD resolution. But overpaying for high pixel densities with a deliberately small diagonal is also unreasonable. Approximately, for high quality pictures, you need a resolution of Full HD (1920 × 1080) with a diagonal of up to 24 inches, 2K (2560 × 1440) — up to 32”, but whether the monitor needs a resolution of 4K UHD (3860 × 2160) with a diagonal higher is a question debatable. By the way, the higher resolutions the user uses, the greater the load placed on the computer’s video card.
- Matrix type. The main characteristics of the image depend on the type of matrix used in the production of the monitor: contrast, black depth, brightness, viewing angles, color gamut, saturation. Previously, a TN (+ film) matrix was often used, but this is a frankly low, budget level, which also has terrible viewing angles. The most popular IPS matrix, which realistically reproduces colors, is quite saturated and bright, minus only the pixel response delay, which affects gaming capabilities. IPS analogue — VA (MVA, PVA). Here, saturated contrasting colors, wide viewing angles and a slight response delay, of the minuses — poor halftone transmission.
- Screen refresh rate + G-SYNC / FreeSync. The faster the monitor redraws the image, the better dynamic scenes manifest themselves. A powerful gaming computer requires a monitor with a refresh rate of 100-120 Hz and this is not the limit. Video card manufacturers additionally use G-Sync and FreeSync technologies, which allows you to produce a smoother picture and get rid of image “tearing”. Find out if your monitor supports one or both of these technologies.
- Flicker. Take care of your eyesight! The Flicker-Free logo (Flicker-Safe or similar) makes it clear that the manufacturer has used a special technology that saves the eyes from the burden of PWM (flicker, harmful to the eyes during prolonged use).
- Response time. The lower it is, the more comfortable it is to play games. The default setting is 1–5 ms.
- connection interfaces. Familiarize yourself with the available connectors on the monitor for connecting to a signal source. The VGA interface is already outdated, DVI is now relevant, it is universal and gives excellent HDMI bandwidth, and the most modern and efficient port today is DisplayPort.
The best monitors up to 24 inches
four LG 22MP48A 21.5″
The adherent of compactness does not need to bother with the choice — LG 22MP48A satisfies all basic requirements. The IPS-matrix produces excellent color reproduction, the resolution is quite enough for such a diagonal — 1920 × 1080. The absence of flicker makes it possible to work at the computer for a long time without harm to the eyes. Good viewing angles and a short response time (5 ms) are something for which LG monitors have always been respected.
The specificity of the matrix could not help saying its word: the contrast ratio is limited to 1000:1, and the brightness is 250 cd/m2.
- Ability to adjust image clarity
- Slight pixel latency
- Good appearance
- Saturated colors
- Nice price
- Pale black
- No HDMI
- Flimsy stand
3 Samsung C24F390FHI 23.5″
Almost a bestseller. Many stores offer this model for purchase, and the number of real reviews on the Web is in the hundreds. This is not surprising, because for 7 kopecks you get a monitor with a curved display. The bend is made in accordance with the screens of iMax cinemas — the field of view visually expands and creates an additional effect of involvement in what is happening.
Also, the developers from Samsung took care of protecting the eyes — there is an Eye Saver Mode and a Flicker Free function. Players will appreciate the presence of a separate Game Mode, which allows you to optimize the image settings for the gameplay.
- curved screen
- Free-sync support
- Matte coating
- Flexible color setting
- The presence of a headphone jack
- Contrast 3000:1
- Marky gloss stand
- The brightest blue diode
2 DELL P2418D 23.8″
The difference between this monitor and most others from the same segment is the resolution, increased to 2560 × 1440. In addition, the model is almost completely frameless, except for the bottom frame. The control buttons are pressed smoothly and work instantly. The white LED backlight of the power button can be turned off in the settings if necessary (many criticize analog models for too bright diodes).
DELL P2418D received an ergonomic and functional stand with a cable channel on the leg. Its position can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically. The maximum height is 130 mm.
- Functional stand
- 3 USB inputs
- VESA mount available
- Availability of DisplayPort in addition to HDMI
- Good viewing angles and color reproduction
- Glow-effect is noted
- Refresh rate 60 Hz
one Eizo Foris FS2434 23.8″
The best 24-inch monitor in reviews is the Eizo Foris FS2434. If you need something better than just a good monitor of small-to-medium dimensions, the choice often falls on Eizo Foris. Despite the high price tag, it is still interesting to buyers. For example, its distinctive features — the presence of presence and light sensors. The device can automatically go into standby mode, so it can save energy.
Have you had problems fine-tuning brightness before? Here it is adjusted up to 1%, the picture does not fade in the sun. The AH-IPS matrix displays 16 million colors and shows high color saturation. The leg-stand is beautiful, comfortable, functional.
- Thin bezels around the screen
- Accuracy of primary colors and their shades
- Widest viewing angles
- Proprietary technologies to improve picture quality
- 2 x USB 2.0 switch
- wall mount
- Convenient headphone connection
- Backlight leakage around the display
- High price
The best monitors up to 27 inches
four BenQ EW2775ZH 27″
The model received a thin frame and a direct stable backlight. Thanks to the matte finish, the screen does not glare. The main feature of the monitor, the manufacturer has designated the protection of the user’s eyes from harmful effects, leading to excessive fatigue and potential vision loss. It uses blue light filtering technology and suppresses perceptible flicker, known as PWM. In addition, the AMVA+ type matrix is capable of opening wide viewing angles, has good contrast and brightness properties.
Inexpensive monitors are often characterized by such an unpleasant phenomenon as glare. However, the WLED backlight in this model is designed to minimize them, especially in the corners. In addition to HDMI, there is also the old VGA connector.
- Eye Protection Technologies
- Compactness and lightness
- Reliable stand
- HDMI cable included
- Adaptive brightness
- DVI not supported
- No sound
3 Samsung C27F396FHI 27″
And once again, Samsung has pleased with an excellent monitor with a curved display. Fans of such a solution will never pay attention to a device with a «direct» screen, and they can be understood. In addition, the effect of presence and complete immersion in the ongoing actions is achieved without a large overpayment for such a purely visual advantage.
The matrix of the model is characterized by a good color reproduction, and the black color looks more natural than many analogues. There are no complaints about the uniformity of the backlight, the monitor is adapted to work with ATI Radeon video cards. The backlight is flicker-free with Flicker-Free technology, which protects the eyes from harmful effects. It should only be noted that sometimes there is a factory defect in the form of a noticeable plume on white.
- Lots of positive feedback
- Curved display at a low price
- Good color reproduction
- Convenient joystick control system
- deep black color
- Lack of DisplayPort
- There is a white plume
- Flimsy stand
2 DELL S2719DGF 27″
This monitor differs from its counterparts in several important ways. First, a TN matrix is used here. The manufacturer tried to squeeze the maximum out of this imperfect technology and achieved quite high picture quality. Viewing angles remain not the strongest side of the matrix, but here there is a high refresh rate of 155 Hz, a minimum response time of 1 ms (the best solution for gamers), Quad HD resolution (2560 × 1440), and the presence of a modern DisplayPort interface.
The matte surface protects against glare and additional strain on the eyes, and the Flicker-free flicker reduction function is also implemented. The USB hub allows you to connect four devices to the monitor at the same time.
- High frame rate (perfect image smoothness)
- Optimal Resolution
- Stable and finely adjustable stand
- Display Port support
- Modern design
- Dead pixels — warranty case
- Branded disadvantages of the outdated TN matrix
- Build quality is mediocre
one Viewsonic VP2768-4K 27″
The best 27 inch computer monitor is Viewsonic VP2768-4K. Professional model with the corresponding price. Probably the best option in its price segment, which is confirmed by the reviews of satisfied customers. Here, 100% color gamut (a working version for designers, artists), accurate color reproduction, almost complete framelessness. Thanks to SuperClear IPS technology, the picture is viewed stably without distortion from any angle.
The functional stand makes it possible to accurately adjust the height and rotation of the display to individual needs, a display rotation sensor is mounted. Provides full equipment ports, including USB version 3.1, DisplayPort and mini-DisplayPort. There is a wall mount. Despite the size and bulkiness of the stand, the device weighs only 6.9 kg.
- Uniform and clear color reproduction
- Excellent factory calibration
- Lack of framework
- High-quality stand, rotation mechanisms
- 4K resolution
- Variety of interfaces
- Excellent design
- Response time — 14 ms
- Maximum frame rate — 75 Hz
The best monitors up to 32 inches
four Samsung C32F391FWI 31.5″
And in this category, the South Korean giant Samsung has something to offer. Opponents of curved displays will pass by, but this solution has its adherents. The level of curvature is 1800R, which is a safe indicator for eye health. A special elegance to the monitor adds white body color.
Low price — low resolution. The FullHD format may not be enough for this size, but it should be enough for unpretentious users. The monitor can be positioned as a gaming monitor due to the low response delay — 4 ms (lower than that of IPS matrices). Pleased with the presence of the Display Port, which you will not find in every budget model.
- Curved display
- Elegant white body
- deep black color
- HDMI cable included
- No dead pixels
- Low price
- Low pixel density (clarity suffers)
- Black power supply and wires
- Glossy finish
3 LG 29UM69G 29″
The monitor differs from its counterparts in an ultra-wide aspect ratio of 21:9. This is a better solution than the standard 16:9 for games that need a wide all-round view (easier to spot enemies), as well as for modern films that are produced in this cinematic format.
Despite the large diagonal and low price, users have no complaints about color reproduction, contrast and color saturation, and viewing angles are all right, given that an IPS-matrix is installed. With the help of Motion Blur Reduction technology, it is possible to get a sharper picture in dynamic scenes, despite the maximum refresh rate of 75 Hz.
The monitor does not consume much power, as the production uses modern solid capacitors and LED components.
- Aspect Ratio 21:9
- USB Type-C
- Economical energy consumption
- Convenient dual-window operation
- Freesync support
- Value for money
- There are flashes
- Stand is not height adjustable
- Huge bezels around the display
2 AOC CQ32G1 31.5″
Monitor with excellent technical characteristics. Here, and Quad HD resolution, and a high refresh rate of 144 Hz, and FreeSync support, and a minimum response time of 1 ms. In addition, the 31.5-inch VA display has an 1800R curvature radius, which creates the effect of even more involvement in what is happening. Maximum brightness — 300 cd / m², sRGB color gamut — 125%. There is no notorious PWM flicker due to the use of Flicker-Free technology.
As for the characteristics of the picture, it is characterized by high color saturation, high contrast, and the absence of uneven backlighting. Perhaps at the corners, a slightly yellowish tint may appear, which is associated with the peculiarities of the VA matrix.
- Smooth Image — 144Hz
- Dynamic Contrast — 80000000
- Excellent color reproduction
- Minimum response delay
- Curved matrix
- Ability to manage monitor settings through a proprietary application
- The matrix is characterized by light
- No USB hub
- Stand is not height adjustable
one Viewsonic VP3268-4K 31.5″
Best-in-class 32″ professional monitor. At least, this is boldly stated by expert reviewers and the owners of the model themselves. It received 4K resolution, support for more than one billion colors (and therefore is better suited for professional work tasks than analogues with 16.7 million colors). In addition, the factory calibration is of high quality, the user is unlikely to have to sit for hours adjusting the monitor parameters.
Viewsonic VP3268-4K has a comfortable and functional stand, it can rotate 90 degrees, there is a proprietary Auto Pivot function. The built-in USB hub includes 4 USB 3.0 Type A ports, however, getting to them is problematic. HDMI version — 2.0, DisplayPort — 1.2a.
- Wide color gamut
- Accurate color reproduction and good factory calibration
- Matte anti-reflective coating
- Stand Ergonomics
- No backlight flicker
- Build quality and materials
- Complicated menu
- Inconvenient location of control buttons
What is the best monitor for a computer?
As already mentioned, the main criteria for choosing a monitor will be the diagonal size, matrix type and screen resolution. We offer several optimal combinations for certain tasks:
- if you mainly work or study at a computer, choose a monitor with an IPS matrix (realistic color reproduction and moderate eye strain), a diagonal of 22-24 inches and FullHD resolution. Pay attention to the presence of the Flicker-Free function, which will allow you to spend many hours daily at work without excruciating discomfort, and also give preference to a matte finish;
- if your computer is used as a gaming station, choose a monitor with a TN matrix (minimum pixel response delay) with a frame rate of at least 75 Hz, or VA 144 Hz — this is generally an uncompromising option. FullHD resolution will not be enough, but Quad HD (2560 × 1440) is just right, since 4K gaming requires a powerful system unit, which will cost a lot. A diagonal of 27 inches is enough for most gamers. Also, for smooth gaming, monitor support for G-SYNC / FreeSync technologies is important;
- if you choose a monitor to replace your TV — to watch movies and online content, it makes sense to take a larger diagonal and be generous with 4K resolution. A good choice would be Samsung’s curved «colorful» VA matrix or a 21:9 aspect ratio. In the first case, the viewing experience will be on a fundamentally new level, and in the second case, you will get rid of annoying black frames and will be able to enjoy a full-fledged cinematic ultra-wide format.